When someone sets out to write a blog, and especially if it is the first time, it makes sense to opt for a free blogging system. The two more common are: Blogger and WordPress, and although they may look very similar, there are small details that can make you lean toward one or the other. I am going to tell you the advantages of WordPresss against Blogger, and backwards!
Advantages of WordPress:
WordPress itself is a free CMS (content management system) that we can install in our private hosting and use freely. Besides this, wordpress.com provides free subdomains, which are what we use to create free blogs.
These blogs have the web address: mipagina.wordpress.com and the administration panel is very similar to the full version of CMS wordpress.org (the “professional” version of WordPress ,) but not with all the options. That said, I describe my list of advantages:
- Aesthetics: While it is true that blogger can make very professional designs, themes you can incorporate into your WordPress blog are very attractive and versatile. It has a good gallery of themes, and although they are not very customizable, the appearance is excellent. If you choose an installation of WordPress on your own domain, I recommend you take a look at the different templates that exist for WordPress with good designs in this list and also here.
- Learning Curve. If you are considering having a more or less serious blog, it is logical that in a few months you want to purchase your own private domain and hosting. There is no doubt WordPress is the king against blogger. So if you have that in mind, why do not start posting content right now and become familiar with WordPress?
- Gravatar: Even if in recent years it has fallen somewhat into disuse, Gravatar is a tool that shows your avatar in the comments you make as much at WordPress as at other platforms (like drupal.)
- Upload pdf files: One of the biggest drawbacks that I find with blogger is that it is not able to upload pdf files and prepare them for download. Now you can do it through google docs, but it’s not the same. At this point, if you are considering working with pdf files, your best option is WordPress.
- Seo: (search engine optimization.) There are a lot of things to say about SEO in WordPress and blogger, but I am just going to mention the ease of optimizing images with WordPress using the alt and title tags, in front of blogger, where you need to edit in html. The proper management of tags and categories that WordPress allows to the users is also important. In this article I tell you how to optimize the positioning of these categories.
Advantages of blogger:
Blogger is a blog platform owned by Google. Like any other google service, you must have an email associated with gmail. The domain that will result from having a blog on blogger is mipagina.blogspot.com.
I used blogspot or blogger for some specific project. Sounds like a great tool to get started as a blogger, and even some blogs have come to be famous with blogger. These are the advantages:
- Intuitive: It is true that if you want to learn more, you will have to do it based on inserting html tags and codes. But if you do not care about that, you can get along fine. How to post articles and upload photos to blogger is quite simple.
- Integration: By belonging to google it is clear that blogger has full integration with other services such as Google Docs, Google Plus, Google analytics or Picasa. If you are already using these services, become familiar with all them will be very easy.
- Community: Although WordPress also has a large community, if it is true that the blogger community is more active. The visibility of the blogger followers widget cannot be missing if you opt for a blogspot domain.
- Customizable: It is true that with blogger you can obtain a total customization, but it is a complex process in which you need to know something about html. Moreover, the default themes are somewhat limited; nonetheless they provide a professional look.
My advice to decide between WordPress or Blogger
As you have seen, both tools are equally powerful, and will undoubtedly depend on how and who will use them. Our advice from SiloCreativo is this:
1. If you are creating a blog with a professional purpose or with the future idea of giving a step further and have your own website, I would choose without doubt WordPress, because once you decide to purchase your own domain, WordPress will be the platform more appropriate, and at least the environment, the plugins, the tool, and how to create menus will already be familiar to you!
2. If you are creating a personal blog as a hobby or to share with friends, I would choose blogger because you are familiar with Google. If your purpose is just this one, blogger is your tool. Edition 17/09/13: I also recommend you the option Ghost, a new manager blogs that is about to go to market and has very good options (responsive design and care, clean code …) Re-edition 31/10/13: Ghost is out now! Here they are the first impressions that will allow you to compare it with other platforms to create blogs.
What do you think? Which one are you currently using? Regards
If you are interested in this content and want to be informed with more resources like this, I recommend that you create an account at SiloCreativo so we can notify you when we publish more articles like these: